The environment group is responsible for the management of environmental matters relating to surface agreements and surface access.
Specific duties of the group include:
- ensuring all proposed oil and gas surface facilities and activities, including seismic, and construction of surface leases, access roads and pipeline rights of way, undergo an environmental review as required by the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA)
- imposing environmental protection terms so that oil and gas companies comply with federal and provincial legislation
- reviewing environmental audits and performing field inspections where necessary at surface facilities to monitor industry compliance with the environmental terms of surface agreements
- providing information and assistance to First Nations, industry representatives and other stakeholders
- conducting reclamation inspections with First Nations and industry and ensuring the adequacy of reclamations prior to the surrender of surface agreements